Monday, December 15, 2008

Paige's Tree


Do you know about our tree?  Do you know why we'll never be able to replace it and why we'll be stuck with this particular tree forever?

I bought that tree on December 13th, 2002.  I was 9 months pregnant with Paige.  Sarah was 20 months old.  I wasn't due for another week or so and I really wanted to get a tree and put it up.  

I packed up Sarah and took her to the store to buy a tree.  

We found the one we wanted but couldn't find anyone willing to help a supremely pregnant woman and her toddler with a bulky box ... so ... I did what any sane pregnant woman would do.  I picked that sucker up all by myself!  I loaded it onto my cart.  I took it to a self-scanner lane and checked myself out.  I hauled it, my fat belly, and my young child to my car.  I loaded us all into my whatever-kind-of-auto I was driving at the time and headed home.

When we got home I carried that box into the house and built that tree.

I really wanted a tree.

I must have also really wanted a baby because I also broke my water that day.  When Frank came home from work I showed him the tree and very calmly (as i remember it ... you can ask him to know for sure) told him that I thought that I broke my water and that I needed to go find out for sure.  We called the doc and I drove myself to the hospital.

Sure enough, I did.

Frank packed up Sarah and tossed her gingerly out the door at a friendly neighbor and joined me in the hospital.  About four hours later we had ourselves a beautiful Baby Paige!  She was born in the early morning hours of December 14th.  The day after the big purchase!

Now I always think of this tree as Paige's tree.

No comments: