Sunday, December 7, 2008

Horse Show #2


Sarah competed in her second horse show today.  

It was a balmy 15 degrees outside and she rode in a freezing (read: fa-ree-zing) cold barn!  Grandma Karen and Mr. Harry came to see her and we all sat in the barn and froze our little patooties off while we waited for it to be her turn to ride.  Sarah was the only one who didn't seem to mind the cold.  She was just excited to be there and to ride a horse.

Her lips were purple!

Nate loves the horse show!

She competed today in the same event as last time ("A" class on the flat), and she took home 1st place last time, if you remember.  This gave her HIGH HOPES for this event, for sure!  I'd warned her that there might not be a repeat of her last performance and pointed out that I didn't notice any duplicate names on the perpetual trophy that she had here, but she was determined to be the first one to have her name on it twice.  She wanted it bad.  I was walking a fine mommy-line --trying to encourage her competitive spirit while, at the same time, trying to give her realistic expectations (and keep her from bursting into angry tears in the arena).  It was a tricky fine line.

So, today was the day.  She did a great job.  She competed against eight other riders.  My friend, who knows of Sarah's strong desire to win and also knows much more about this sport than I do, leaned over just before the judges made their decision and said, "I think she has a real chance" and I crossed my fingers.  I could see Sarah concentrating -- listening for the judges decision.  It was a long wait.  At one point, she closed her eyes as if to will them to say her name.  

Finally, they spoke.  "And first place goes to rider number 764.  Jessica somebody or other who isn't Sarah Gorman" and my lady looked (to her credit) only slightly disappointed.  "Second place is rider number 360.  Sarah Gorman on Buster!"  

Yippie!!  She did it.  We were happy.  She got a ribbon.

After the ribbons were all handed out, I got to walk into the arena to take her picture.  The first thing she said to me was, "They had to do it that way.  You were right."  She is absolutely convinced that she was the first place rider but that they simply could not give her back the trophy.  Ah ... my girl.  I turned her into a conspiracy theorist.  Good job, mom.  Way to go.

Needless to say, we spent our whole drive home with me talking about what a fantastic thing it is to have won second place and that she very well may have deserved it and that Jessica Whoever She Was just might have deserved first place.  And, all the while, Sarah telling me about how she was probably the first one and the other girl was second but that they didn't want to give the trophy back to her so they just gave it to the other girl and then gave Sarah second place and la di da and loo di doo and then she launched into a speech filled with technical horse jargon that's not worth typing but, basically, she said she did a better job.  So there.  

Oy.

It is a fine line, isn't it?

Way to go Sarah! 2nd Place!

I think that the next show is in April.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: