Friday, January 1, 2010

Samantha, Judy & Charles

Did I ever write about the time that I convinced the kids that their real names are Samantha, Judy & Charles?

We were in St. Louis and I can't remember why I did it. I told them that I had to finally tell them the truth and that Daddy and I had been using fake names for them for their entire lives. No one believed me but they started asking lots of questions:

What were their real names? Samantha, Judy, and Charles.

Why have I been calling them Sarah, Paige, and Nate? Those are their middle names.

Why didn't we tell them before? We thought they were too young and that we'd confuse them.

How do we spell our names? I told them. They learned quickly.

It went on and on until, to my surprise, they finally believed me! It was crazy.

I DID eventually tell them the truth (obviously). If I remember correctly, I came clean about it within the hour. But they really love the idea of having different names.

I'd forgotten about the whole name thing until yesterday. Nate asked me what his real name is -- he couldn't remember. I told him that it was Charles. He smiled. Paige piped up that she wished her real name really was Judy. She loves that name. Judy. Judy. Judy.

Samantha, Judy, Charles and I wish you a very happy New Year!

No comments: