Friday, January 1, 2010

Cassette Tapes


When my parents came to visit last week my dad brought me an old cassette to listen to.

The kids were so excited to listen to it ... until we realized that we might not have a cassette player in the house.

Finally, we found that the CD player in Sarah's room has one attached. She grabbed the tape and ran to her room. About ten minutes later, Paigie returned with the cassette in her hand. She said, "We don't know how this works. It doesn't fit. Should we take it out of this box? How is this supposed to work??"

I had to laugh.

Let's take a moment to think about all of the kinds of technology that my kids have never seen.......

They have never lived in a house without Tivo.
They do not know what a VHS tape is.
They, apparently, don't know what a cassette is.
They have never seen a record.
They don't know a world without email, internet, or high-speed wireless connections.
They've never had a car without a DVD player.
They were astonished when I pulled out a corded phone recently.
They've never NOT had a cordless phone.
They don't understand how we didn't have cell phones when I was a kid.
And, how could I forget digital photography????

Happy New Year!

No comments: