Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Polly Wanna Cracker?


My Aunt Betty is a million years old and living in a nursing home in Missouri.  It seems that she is somewhat unhappy with the cost of living there.  She fights back by stealing from the dining room -- as many crackers as she can shove into her pockets. 

Hundreds of packets of contraband wheat crackers have been stuffed into her pockets, taken back to her room, carefully packaged into gallon-sized plastic bags, and sent home with my mom to be distributed to ... well ... to me, Chris, and Liz.  Aunt Betty hands them off with a "this will help them in this terrible economy" speech.

For some reason (I assume it's because she can't possibly use a million cracker packets), my mom saves the bags and follows through on her cracker distribution promises.

Every time we visit St. Louis my mom gives the bags to MY KIDS.  My mom is smart.  She knows that I will try my darnedest to leave the crackers behind.  My kids, on the other hand, are pleased as punch to get such a big bag of loot.  

Yesterday, I cleaned out my pantry and found FIVE FULL BAGS of crackers lurking in all kinds of places.  So ... anyone have any good recipes that require LOTS of whole wheat crackers?  Anyone WANT some crackers?  Please ... help ....................

No comments: